The Effects of Mold and How to Remove It

The Effects of Mold and How to Remove ItWhen one thinks about mold, it’s usually on a loaf of bread or a mysterious Tupperware container lodged in the back of the fridge. While disgusting, these problems are easily dealt with. The more insidious mold growths are found inside our homes and on our premises, easily overlooked until it becomes both an eyesore and a health problem. It’s important not only to clean mold to improve your quality of life, but to also improve the appearance of your home.

Where And Why Does It Grow?

Mold needs only one thing to grow: moisture. Damp basements, improperly vented bathrooms, kitchens, and attics, leaks, or post-flood areas–all of these places can and will grow mold. It usually forms where the moisture stays the longest—nearby leaks or on the ceilings of rooms with hot steam. Mold can survive anything above freezing (you find it in your refrigerated food) and high heat as long as there’s humidity. Even after death it will still leave a residue both staining the surface and still causing health problems.

Health Risks

The primary reason to remove mold is the health risks it poses. While not all people are at risk, many are allergic to the spores mold releases. For those with health problems, such as asthmatics and people with compromised immune or respiratory systems, mold can be a serious health hazard instead of just an irritant. While many molds are benign, such as mildew, other molds are significantly more toxic, such as black mold. All molds provide unsightly stains on your household, but immediate action should be taken if you encounter any major mold growths.

Mold Removal: Small Areas

For soft surfaces and small patches on indoor surfaces, a solution of no more than one cup of bleach to one gallon of warm water is recommended. Make sure the area you are working in is well ventilated and you’re wearing kitchen or other non-porous gloves. Protective eyewear is recommended as well as old clothing since bleach can stain fabric. Using a rag soaked in the solution and then rung of extra fluid, firmly wipe the area. While the mold should come off easily, the bleach is there to kill any remaining spores. Clean the surrounding areas as well, as spores may be resting there but not yet growing. If you are having a reaction to the mold, you should wear a face mask as you cleaning will dislodge more spores.

Mold Removal: Large Areas

For larger projects, such as unfinished basements, house siding, decks, garages, sidewalks and driveways, the use of a power/pressure washer is recommended. These washers usually come in both residential and commercial strength, with the latter being used on concrete or metal-sided buildings. Owning your own pressure washer is great to keep your sidewalks and driveways clear of mold, moss and algae, but a home improvement contractor can provide the service for you along with consolation for problems areas. If you’re having problems with mold inside or outside your home and are wondering if pressure washing is right for you, please contact us today.

Posted in Roofing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *