As a homeowner, the number of times we need to replace our roofing system is minimal. In fact, with today’s lifetime warranties, many homeowners may only need to go through this project once. But when your home is in need of a roof replacement, what is a fair estimate for a roof replacement cost in Florida?
Let us share what it should cost you to replace your roof.
Roof Replacement Cost – What to Consider
Roofing contractors consider several factors to determine the price of a new roof. These factors include:
- Roof type (flat, sloped, high or low pitch)
- Size of the roof
- Layers of shingles already on the roof
- Materials selected
- Hidden roofing problems
- Roof features such as chimneys and sky lights
Therefore a simple roof with a light slope, few angles and no features like skylights or jutting windows will cost you the least amount while a complex roof with a steep slope, multiple chimneys, skylights and varying angles will cost you more.
Roofing Cost Calculation
Let’s take a look at how a professional roofing contractor would provide you a quote for your home.
Roofing professionals typically quote materials in squares, which is 100 square feet or a 10-by-10-foot area.
For a new roof using GAF asphalt shingles, plus quality workmanship and lifetime warranty, you should expect a price of about $400 a square.
Approximate prices for a roof replacement using a roofing system such as the GAF Lifetime Roofing System would be:
- 18 square = $7,500
- 25 square = $10,000
- 40 square = $16,000
You can probably estimate the size of your roof if you don’t have a lot of angles, but an experienced contractor will give you a more accurate estimate.
The $400 per square cost includes the following items:
- Old roof removal
- Replacement materials
- Ice and water protection
If all goes well with the old roof removal, provided there aren’t multiple layers of shingles to be removed, there won’t be many surprises.
However, if the old roof comes off and there is rot and other problems that surface, expect to pay about $50 per sheet for plywood decking and a bit more labor for ensuring your new roof will not have any unforeseen problems.
If your roof has multiple layers of shingles, expect to pay an additional $100 for two layers or $300 for three layers. Putting new shingles over an old roof may save you some money in the short term, but you may pay for it if you ever need to strip the old roof down and start new.
Other unexpected problems with the roof can also add to the cost.
Hiring a Reliable Roofing Contractor
When looking for a roofing contractor, how do you know you have selected a company that is going to provide quality work that they stand behind? Make sure the roofing contractor:
- Knows the ins and outs of the local building codes.
- Has adequate fall protection, liability and workman’s compensation insurance and can pull their own permits
- Offers substantive guarantees or is a certified GAF Master Elite™ contractor
- Provides quality reviews and testimonials
A professional roofer will be much more efficient and knowledgeable and will be able to complete the job quickly and with higher quality work.
We all know there are contractors who will quote you a very low price to get the job. Make sure they can provide all of the above qualifications or immediately disqualify them.
Why are these qualifications important?
- If they aren’t up to date with building codes, your project can be issued a stop work order.
- If you need to pull the permit yourself, you are responsible for any liability or workman’s compensation insurance and coverage if something happens on your property. Florida requires that roofing contractors carry specialty insurance due to the nature of the work. A properly licensed roofing contractor will provide proof of insurance to you and they take all liability for any mishaps that could happen during the roofing job.
- If the contractor can’t provide the highest warranties in the industry, you can’t be guaranteed that the job is done correctly.
- And if your contractor can’t provide high quality reviews and testimonials, why would you take the chance?
Hiring a roofing contractor based on price alone may seem like a good deal, but how much will that new roof cost your in the long run?
When hiring a roofing contractor, use these guidelines, both on pricing and contractor qualifications, to ensure you hire a roofing company that will provide you a roof replacement estimate that is in line with project and the quality of the workmanship.
If you are in need of a new roof, contact All Weather Tite for a free estimate that will be complete with no hidden costs.